Tuesday 17 November 2015

TUESDAY 17th NOVEMBER 2015 08:28 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

17th November 1558
Elizabeth I becomes Queen of England 

Elizabeth I was to become one of England's greatest and most successful monarchs, making England the strongest Protestant power in Europe. The fact that she had even survived, let alone become queen, was far from certain and involved a mixture of luck and cunning. 

Elizabeth was the second child of Henry VIII, the daughter of Anne Boleyn. Her elder half-sister Mary grew up a devout Roman Catholic whereas Elizabeth was a moderate pragmatic Protestant. Both were presumed excluded from the succession in favour of their younger brother Edward VI, who ascended the throne on his father's death in 1547.

Edward, though only a child of nine on his accession was a fanatical Protestant, as was the regency council that effectively ruled England on his behalf, and in his reign, Protestantism displaced Catholicism as the majority faith. Edward however was frail and sickly and died still only a youth in 1553. Edward, influenced by his protector John Dudley, the Duke of Northumberland, excluded both sisters in his will in favour of Lady Jane Grey. 

Dudley however was unpopular and when Mary claimed the throne, supported by Elizabeth, and marched on London from her estates in East Anglia, his support melted away. Mary was proclaimed queen and Dudley was executed for treason. 

Mary I had the principal aim of restoring England to the Roman Catholic church. Protestantism however was now deeply rooted and the protestant Elizabeth was heir to the throne. Mary's Catholic supporters plotted to have Elizabeth executed, but Mary would not sanction this without evidence of treason. 

In 1554 a Protestant rebellion led by Sir Thomas Wyatt was crushed and Elizabeth imprisoned in the tower on suspicion of treason, as members of the rebellion had contacted her. The wily Elizabeth however had not written anything incriminating and made no verbal endorsements of anyone. Consequently, in the absence of any evidence, Elizabeth was transferred to house arrest for a year then finally re-summoned to court.

Mary's subsequent phantom pregnancy was probably the result of cancer, and on becoming obviously ill, Mary named Elizabeth as her heir on November 9 1558, and eight days later, Elizabeth became queen.

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Business promotional work
Meditation
Me Time
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 2,042 (up 1)
Non-followed eliminated = 0

-
Unfollowers eliminated = 0

-
New Followers followed back = 1
untraced 
Spammers not followed back = 0
-

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
I once again find myself with an abundance of time and in reflective mood. 

This character has been, from school onward, a misfit. Combine this with a dysfunctional background and the absence of any wise guidance and it's not surprising I have not risen to any great status. However, it is these very factors that have led to Enlightenment, seeing everything as it really is. Status would have deprived me of this, as I would have been distracted into maintaining it.

I have discovered that happiness, wisdom and wellbeing are separate qualities from status, and from my observations, more preferable if you are forced to choose. I have found myself happily and comfortable, gratefully living my life my way "under the radar" without any of the trappings of status. This character is not however unique in this as it is something of a family tradition. Research has revealed a family continually tearing itself apart, dividing into free-spirit rebels and repressed but more successful conformists both with a mutual resentment of the other. No prizes for guessing which of these camps I've turned out to be in!

This is kinda comforting. This character is as much a child and expression of the universe as everything else. Though my preference would have been happy successful ignorance, this is probably just "other grass is greener" syndrome. I might be a lot more jealous were it not for the fact that everything is so temporary. Status or no status, happiness or misery, all things pass, and quickly!

Given the very temporary nature of this character experience, I consider my choices right and certainly I can claim to have experienced all the things that make life worthwhile. Even if it were to end right now I would have consider my purpose fulfilled, although Son and Missus are better off having me around a while longer.

I think that it's important to frequently review what you're doing and why you're doing it and I'm delighted to conclude after this latest review that I consider myself well-pleased with myself! This character is clear about its purpose and is fulfilling it! 

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Are you living your life your way? If not, is it worth it?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
A dry and bright start, with some morning sunshine. By the afternoon rain arrives And will be heavy at times. 
Winds become strong and gusty by late afternoon
Max Temp = 12 degC at 4pm
Min Temp = 7 degC at midnight
Sunrise at 07:37
Sunset at 16:06
Moon: 

Weathertrack: A small depression will cross Britain very quickly, bringing wind and rain
Air Pressure: 1001 millibars and falling

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I hate hanging out with MC Hammer. He never let's me touch anything. :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

8. TRIVIA
Emotions tied to memories outlast the memories that triggered them, which can cause you to become emotional for no apparent reason - it's due to a long-forgotten memory.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Each person possesses a precious inner treasure of infinite worth. To remain unaware of this and stumble about in spiritual poverty is a tragic waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment