Thursday 24 December 2015

CHRISTMAS DAY, FRIDAY 25th DECEMBER 06:51 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

25th December 1066
William I (William The Conqueror) is crowned king of England at Westminster Abbey

Having won the decisive battle of Hastings on the 14th October, William took some time to reach London, taking the long way around the coast of Kent, bypassing the Forest of Weald to avoid ambush. Far from submitting, the Witan, the Saxon parliament, declared Edgar Aetheling, the son of Edmund II Ironside as king, and the Saxons prepared to defend London.

Attacked by an English army just south of London, William decisively won the Battle of Southwark, but was unable to storm the heavily defended London Bridge. William therefore marched west along the south bank of the Thames valley, until he was finally able to cross the river at Wallingford. He then marched along beneath the Chiltern Hills to approach London from the North-West, easily defeating several Saxon attacks.

Having completely failed to halt William's advance, the remaining English leaders surrendered to William at Berkhamsted. 

The coronation itself ended in bloodshed. As part of the ceremony, The Lords and Barons shouted their acceptance of William as king. The Norman guard outside, unfamiliar with the ceremony, thought that an act of treachery was taking place, panicked and perpetrated a massacre of bystanders and started a fire. Most of the congregation fled the abbey and the coronation was rushed to a conclusion.

Saxon resistance continued long after the coronation, and was not fully eliminated until 1072.

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Family Time

Twitter Followers = 2,054 (up 3)
Non-followed eliminated = 0

-
Unfollowers eliminated = 0

-
New Followers followed back = 3
@nvh315, @Pamela3920, @james_wood85
Spammers not followed back = 0
-

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
PINNACLE CHRISTMAS: DAY 6 OF 13
I have noticed that in this time of leisure, my sleep pattern, freed of the alarm clock, is to wake very early, 0430-0530, to want a two-hour nap in the afternoon then early-ish to bed, 2200-2300. This rather suits me - I get plenty of "me time" first thing before the others emerge. I will have to take some sleep debt today though as due to the monster Christmas Dinner and clearup, I won't be getting that afternoon nap.

Though the Christmas Day catering is a fairly big job, these days I don't mind at all now I've got only loving appreciative company. Missus, who is mentally a six-year-old with adult appetites, loves Christmas with that unbridled joy that young children do. Far from disappointing, this actually makes her a joy to care for, particularly when all year round she worships me utterly anyway.

Son, though somewhat distracted by his own concerns, is nevertheless empathetic and appreciative, and my relationship with him is the thing of which I'm most proud, as a male Blonder's love is always earned and conditional. 

I often reflect on how huge a gamble and how unpredictable relationships are - I have experienced opposite extremes of the spectrum, which indicates that it's not to do with ME but factors inherent in the other people and the circumstances. All I can really control is my response to these. 

I have learned to aggressively purge those who make me feel bad from my personal life and aggressively defend myself and my rights and privileges in a social setting from predators and the self-interested. At the same time, I've learned to warmly reach out with kindness to neutrals and the fans. This twin approach has led to happiness and peace of mind for which I am profoundly grateful. There is also a certain pride in that it has been entirely self-taught - no guru has ever led me to the enlightenment I have experienced. 

I now take joy and pleasure in sharing this self-taught knowledge, so that others ARE led to enlightenment faster than I took by personal trial-and-error.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Are you true to yourself or lying to yourself?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
Dry and cloudy start
Heavy rain arrives late morning and will persist thereafter
A moderate southwesterly will swing temporarily south easterly mid-morning to late evening
Max Temp = 11 degC at midnight
Min Temp = 4 degC at 7am
Sunrise at 08:24
Sunset at 15:50
Moon: Full Moon

Weathertrack: A warm front will arrive then become static over Britain
Air Pressure: 1018 millibars and falling

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I'd be more of a go-getter if I knew what I was going to get :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Big Bang Theory: Penny discusses sex with Sheldon

8. TRIVIA
Population experts estimate that there are at least 3,000 distinct ethnic groups (tribes) in Africa. Nigeria alone has more than 370 recognized tribes within its population.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Wisdom is invisible. It can only be gauged by a person’s actual conduct and behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment