Sunday 6 March 2016

SUNDAY 6th MARCH 2016 15:40 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 
WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

6th March 1869 
The First Periodic Table of Elements
Russian chemistry professor Dmitri Mendeleev and German chemist Julius Lothar Meyer independently published their periodic tables in 1869 and 1870, respectively. Mendeleev's table was his first published version; that of Meyer was an expanded version of his (Meyer's) table of 1864. They both constructed their tables by listing the elements in rows or columns in order of atomic weight and starting a new row or column when the characteristics of the elements began to repeat.

The recognition and acceptance afforded to Mendeleev's table came from two decisions he made. The first was to leave gaps in the table when it seemed that the corresponding element had not yet been discovered. Mendeleev was not the first chemist to do so, but he was the first to be recognized as using the trends in his periodic table to predict the properties of those missing elements, such as gallium and germanium. The second decision was to occasionally ignore the order suggested by the atomic weights and switch adjacent elements, such as tellurium and iodine, to better classify them into chemical families. Later in 1913, Henry Moseley determined experimental values of the nuclear charge or atomic number of each element, and showed that Mendeleev's ordering actually corresponds to the order of increasing atomic number.

The significance of atomic numbers to the organization of the periodic table was not appreciated until the existence and properties of protons and neutrons became understood. Mendeleev's periodic tables used atomic weight instead of atomic number to organize the elements, information determinable to fair precision in his time. Atomic weight worked well enough in most cases to (as noted) give a presentation that was able to predict the properties of missing elements more accurately than any other method then known. Substitution of atomic numbers, once understood, gave a definitive, integer-based sequence for the elements, and Moseley predicted (in 1913) that the only missing elements between aluminum (Z=13) and gold (Z=79) were Z = 43, 61, 72 and 75, which were all later discovered. The sequence of atomic numbers is still used today even as new synthetic elements are being produced and studied.

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
The Milk Run
Ironing
Lunch
Meditation
Client prep
Me Time
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 2,092 (down 3)
Never-followed unfollowers eliminated = 2

@official_ravel, @MeetTheVloggers
Followed unfollowers eliminated = 2

@ZeroAdvertising. @Wrenthorpe_UK
New Followers followed back = 0
-
Spammers not followed back = 0
-

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
I have mixed feelings about this brain. It has big plusses and big minuses. The big plusses are personal (though not group) empathy, its teaching ability and its continual thirst for knowledge, research and personal development. I have a curiosity to know and find out that seems to be absent in everyone I know. 

The down side is sociopathy and intense emotions, emotional scars and "raw nerves". When someone treads on a "raw nerve" which in my case centres on disapproval, it's like tearing a ligament - it takes me months to recover. This in itself I can do nothing about. I have however made great strides in managing it. I don't suppress it - I fully acknowledge to myself I'm hurting, but that doesn't mean I'm going to display it! 

Most importantly, I don't hurt my loved ones with my issues. I hurt and carry on anyway, caring for them. When alone, I have found the best therapy is catharsis - rather than attempt anaesthesia, to feel the hurt full-on. An entire childhood spent mainly disapproved of, being made to feel a hindrance and not socially fitting in is bound to leave scars. 

To then experience your wife turn psychotic and your daughter turn into a vindictive, parasitic hateful narcissist is going to leave more scars. I think I can congratulate myself on developing the coping strategies I have and going on to help others with them. 

So when "raw nerves" get triggered by "no big deal" incidents, they hurt a lot more than logic would determine, because they open these deep scars. I am most blessed to now live in such a benign environment, ideal for the long recovery times needed.

I always have some trepidation when Missus goes to visit ex-Daughter because of how she gets treated there. Yesterday was effectively their Mother's Day. She was pleased to get a cheese platter and had in her own mind a nice time, but Missus still ended up out of pocket for stuff that ex-Daughter "needed" because she had spent all her own money. Unbelievable! On the day that was supposed to be "Mother's Treat", ex-Daughter still managed to get money out of her!! 

I can't really stop this parasitic money drain, only control and manage it. Missus gets a weekly allowance and a "Christmas pot" which she can spend however she likes. If she wants to spend money on ex-Daughter, she can do so out of these budgets, so there doesn't have to be continual discussion about ex-Daughter. 

One of the more exasperating facts of my situation is to watch both Son and Missus make stupid decisions (from my perspective!) and spend shitloads of cash and other resources on people who take more rather than give back. For my own sanity I have to just let them get on with it and stay hunkered down within my own Red Lines. My job is to be there for them, not control them.

With raw nerves already trod on, this was not a good time for a flash drive to spontaneously corrupt itself. Everything on there was fortunately not important, just personal amusement stuff, but I had spent a long time building it up. However I can't just stop because there's "trouble in paradise" and morale is low. There are folks counting on me! 

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Have you noticed how concern for other people's issues helps you be distracted from your own? 

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD

















Moon





Weathertrack














Air Pressure
1007 millibars and falling

That's all today! Back to "normal service" tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment