Sunday 21 April 2013

SUNDAY 21st APRIL 2013 08:11 BST

AVAILABLE FOR KINDLE DOWNLOAD, DOCUMENT DOWNLOAD AND AUDIOBOOK - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK

FOR MORE WISDOM CHECK OUT MY
TUMBLR PAGE

FOR PERSONAL ISSUES, OR TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR 2 (21st April 1943)
In the Warsaw Ghetto...
Heavy fighting between the SS and Jewish fighters.

In the Mediterranean...
Italian vessel Marco Foscarini sunk by RN submarine HMS Unison
RN submarine HMS Splendid sunk by Kriegsmarine destroyer Hermes

In Tunisia...
The British 8th Army is halted at Takrouna.

In the Atlantic...
British vessel Ashantian sunk by U-415
British vessel Wanstead sunk by U-413
Norwegian vessel Scebeli sunk by U-191

In Tokyo...
Admiral Mineichi Koga is appointed to replace Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto as commander of the Combined Fleet.

In the Indian Ocean...
USN submarine Grenadier damaged by Japanese aircraft off Penang
US vessel John Drayton sunk by Italian submarine Da Vinci

Today's Air Raids...
Netherlands US 8th Air Force Fighter patrols
France RAF Fighter patrols
Aberdeen, Scotland by the Luftwaffe
Laga, Timor Island by US 5th Air Force
Bangkok, Thailand by USAAF
Funfuti Atoll by Japanese bombers
Maymyo and Myitnge, Burma by US 14th Air Force
Imphal, India by Japanese aircraft

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging first thing. The milk run then ironing before lunch. Long meditation and some me time in the afternoon. Missus time in the evening.

 Twitter Followers = 1,659 (down 3)
    Nonfollowed eliminated = 3
    Unfollowers eliminated = 0


3. TODAY'S SELF OBSERVATION
A common philosophy I have come to reject utterly is the so-called "work-ethic" or as I prefer to call it "Rat-Race Ethic". This philosophy holds that you must work really hard to get ahead so you can enjoy a comfortable well-planned retirement. This rather depressing view contains within it what seems to be a number of blatantly obvious flaws.

Firstly this is my life - do I really want to spend the majority of it doing stuff I don't like? This seems to me to be a decision to be unhappy for most of the time with brief distractions in the evenings, weekends and holidays, and at the "scrag-end" of your life. Secondly, death, illness or injury could at any moment render the "fruits" of this philosophy utterly useless. Thirdly I have observed those who have worked hard all their lives for a pension and/or retirement and concluded that they are all fools who have condemned themselves to lives of frustration, misery and disappointment.

Instead I have embraced the invincibility of uncertainty, and the fact no amount of security can defend you against it. Secondly I have set off in the relentless pursuit of that which brings me joy, which is to make a difference with my talents and abilities, to myself, the environment and others. Thirdly I ruthlessly exclude from my life the people and activities that bring no joy or benefit. Since I have adopted this alternative philosophy, true, deep and profound happiness has come into my life.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
If happiness was a currency, what would make you rich?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
Mainly dry with sunny priods, although there may be some heavy showers in the early evening.
Clear overnight.
Wind will be moderate and south-westerly.
Max Temp = 8 degC
Min Temp = 5 degC
Sunrise at 05:54
Sunset at 20:19

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I can laugh at myself, which means that I'm constantly amused!  : D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Nate Hurd on being a black albino

8. TRIVIA
For every two people murdered, three kill themselves.

9. THE WISDOM I'VE LEARNED FROM OTHERS
"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get back up." - Vince Lombardi 



No comments:

Post a Comment