Friday 1 January 2016

NEW YEAR'S DAY, FRIDAY 1st JANUARY 2016 10:25 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 
WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

1st January 1945
Operation Bodenplatte

Operation Bodenplatte (Baseplate), launched on 1 January 1945, was an attempt by the Luftwaffe to cripple Allied air forces in the Low Countries during the Second World War, by destroying aircraft on the ground. The objective was for the Luftwaffe to gain air superiority so that the German Army and Waffen-SS forces, in retreat in the Battle Of The Bulge, could renew their advance. The operation was originally planned to coincide with the launch of the Ardennes offensive on 16 December 1944, but was delayed repeatedly due to bad weather until New Year’s Day, the first day that the weather was suitable.

Secrecy for the operation was so tight that not all German ground and naval forces had been informed of the operation and some units suffered casualties from friendly fire. British signals intelligence (Ultra) recorded the movement and buildup of German air forces in the region, but failed to conclude from it that an operation was imminent.

The operation achieved some surprise and tactical success, as a great many Allied aircraft were destroyed on the ground, but by this time, Allied war production was so great that all the aircraft were replaced within a week. Allied aircrew casualties were quite small, since the majority of Allied losses were just empty planes sitting on the ground. The Germans, however, could not replace either their pilots or aircraft.

Post-battle analysis suggests only 11 of the Luftwaffe's 34 air combat Gruppen made attacks on time and with surprise. The operation completely failed to achieve air superiority, even temporarily, and all the German ground forces in the faltering Battle Of The Bulge continued to be exposed to Allied air attack. Bodenplatte was the last large-scale strategic offensive operation mounted by the Luftwaffe during the war, though it managed to keep some aircraft flying right up to total defeat in May.

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Me Time
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 2,062 (up 2)
Non-followed eliminated = 0

-
Unfollowers eliminated = 0

-
New Followers followed back = 2
@HenrikPiga, @kosma003
Spammers not followed back = 0
-

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
PINNACLE CHRISTMAS: DAY 13 OF 13
New Year's Eve was the best ever - sat around post-coitally in our dressing gowns, letting our bits hang out, drinking tea, beer and wine and quaffing chocolate, watching TV. No party, however exquisitely marvelous, could have been more enjoyable. I think that what made it so great was the ability to freely enjoy being utterly ourselves - nice food, great music, nice drinks, being loved, free from any disapproval. It was a moment of bliss that I will savour forever. 

2015 was a pivotal moment in my own life when I finally and permanently severed all toxic relationships, mentally as well as physically. 2016 may be the year when Son finally flies the nest, but there's a lot of uncertainty over that one. Either way, as his college course completes, I expect him to start bringing in some cash, either to his own house or to ours! 

After a final flash of glorious indulgence, today, it's time for me to get in shape in every aspect of my life - physical and mental wellbeing, as a carer, therapist and business person, and work towards a big ambition - to be sufficiently solvent to ditch the Weekend Job. It served a purpose as an essential bridge between careers, now I want to finally cross it and burn it!

I am against the clock - I am dying as is everybody over 30. Now in my fifties, I can feel it happening. Missus is dying faster and I don't know how long she can continue as breadwinner. I feel no distress over this - I am the universe, and the universe will simply keep re-manifesting itself in other nodes of consciousness. My concern is to make the maximum difference in the remaining time available to this particular node.

Though I'd prefer to do more, I am content in what I've achieved - I've made a difference, experienced love joy and wisdom, and passed them on. That is the only valid purpose of any particular life. I'll carry on doing it while the opportunity remains.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Do you know your purpose, and are you fulfilling it?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD















Moon: 



Weathertrack: A depression will gradually move over the country by midnight
Air Pressure: 1021 millibars and falling

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I'm going to re-marry my ex-wife, but I only want her her for my money :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Have I Got News For You - Brian Blessed's best bits

8. TRIVIA
The average temperature on Mars is -81° F and can range from -205° F in the winter to 72° F in the summer.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Defeat lies not in failing or making mistakes; rather, it lies in giving up on ourselves when we do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment